Thursday, September 1, 2011

Training day



Today the WOD is CrossFit's trademark manmaker: FRAN!

21 - 15 - 9 of:
Thrusters
Pull-ups

Mens' weight is 95#, womens' weight is 65#.  Is Fran in your kitchen?

I remember the first time I ever saw someone doing this WOD.  Somewhere on the internet a grainy video exists of two men doing thrusters and pull-ups at a breakneck pace.  I couldn't begin to describe how ridiculous it looked: the plates on the bar were too big to be light and I had never seen bumper plates; so to me that was at least 135# they were slinging around.  No one could do that.  And the pull-ups, well...I was good at pull-ups but I couldn't do what they were doing.  None of it seemed possible, but these two guys were repping it out like pros.  Like they did this all day.  Like it was light weight.

People were all around them, and the video was taken from about thirty yards away.  I saw this video in perhaps my first semester of college and wrote it off.  They were fake weights, those dudes were on steroids.  It wasn't possible for a regular human like me.  It wasn't until a couple of years later when I heard about CrossFit for the first time that I was able to put that memory into perspective.  A few months afer that I tried it for the first time.  It crushed me.  But the realm of the possible was opened to me the day I saw that video, and everything I did afterward would be judged in its shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment